Tuesday, November 16, 2010

What if

IWhat if work is too busy today?

What if I can't go to meeting I want tonight?

What if I can't pay the rent this month?

What if I can't go to Ocean City next year?

What if the child I get five years from now has a learning disability?

What if I have cancer?

In the Living Sober book, there's a good passage on "The If Trap." This mainly talks about what if's in the context of drinking.

Early in the morning though, sometimes my mind works like this, even without the alcohol. Big what if's...little what if's...

And one of the funny things is, I don't even have a consequence usually. These are tricks my addict brain plays on me so that I will feel overwhelmed. My disease LOVES me in that space. Why? So I can drink.

Funnier, if I kill myself (by drinking), I'll never find out.

What if.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.4

No comments:

Post a Comment