Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Friendship and Hi

Hi, my name is "Ed" and I'm an alcoholic.

This identification helps remind me who I am. An old timer once told me to always look someone new in the eye as I said it, to remind me that it's an introduction, which it is.

I also practice, "Hi, my name is Ed." I put out my hand, smile, and ask someone where they are from. I try to steer clear of "How sober are you?" or "Do you have a sponsor?" in my initial conversation. In the book it says to speak to the new alcoholic of normal things first, THEN move to my drinking, then their alcoholism...but I digress.

I've learned the smiling and introducing myself in AA makes quick friends. The people that come up to me, new in a new city, are people I want to talk to.

I say this with new appreciation today. I'm continuing to have the experience of AA picking me up here in my new city, and loving me.

As I watched the basketball game last night with all of my new friends, smiling, and laughing, I thought how connected and safe I felt.

Connected and safe.
Connected and safe.
Connected and safe.

I never felt.

Drunk.

Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.3

No comments:

Post a Comment