Friday, October 29, 2010

No.

No.

Is a complete sentence.  I learned this from my sponsor in early sobriety. 

"Do you want a drink?"

"No."

I don't have to further qualify.  I don't have to talk about the weather, or my terrible childhood, or my condition, or my shoes, or my fuel tank.

No.

I later this also applied to things that I didn't want to do.  I am not talking about suggestions.  These I follow to the best of my ability.  But I have to put my sobriety first.

"Do you want to go to a later meeting instead?"

"No."

"I know it will make you late for the meeting, but can't you just wait on me?"

"No."

As my sobriety has grown, so has my ability to say no.  I am a people pleaser to the core, and this tool has become so powerful to me.

AA has taught me to say yes to so many things, but it has also taught me to say no.

No comments:

Post a Comment